Thursday, April 1, 2010

Is there such a thing as elevator etiquette?

Well, if there isn't there definitely should be. 

Ponder this, where you work, do men wait for women to enter or exit the elevator before they do? I am happy to report that I could safely say 85% of the time the men in my building do. I think more from my own company, but it's a pretty nice thing either way. That's the good...


The Bad? 
First, why do people rush to enter the elevator before those on it get off? This isn't the Tokyo subway system where you just push in as a herd. And then if that doesn't annoy you, ask yourself why people insist on packing into an elevator as if it's a clown car? I mean people, there are 6 elevators, maybe 5 if one is being used for construction on the upper floors. Is it that necessary for you to push into an already crowded elevator to go downstairs at that exact moment? Yes, I'm only 5'3, but does that mean people can't see you and step on you? The concept of personal space...gone, I'm not always sure where I stop, and where someone else begins. When you work on the 18th floor, ascending or descending becomes equivalent to taking the "Local" bus, versus the "Express". Today, several people made me chuckle on the way down to go to lunch, as the door opened and they saw the packed house, uttered "Oh, thanks," as if those in the elevator actually had a choice of where the elevator stopped...


Now the ugly...
Picture in your mind, a day you are running late after a doctor's appointment, you enter the elevator, and three other women who work together for the same company after the mid-morning coffee run to Starbucks. Buttons are pushed for 2 floors (other than my own). Smooth ride up to the first stop, conversation is in mid stream, woman #1 begins to exit the elevator, but stops, holds her hand on the door and continues the conversation.... WTF? Who does that? I clear my throat, and both women continue to chat, finally woman #2 notices me (really?) and says "we'll catch up later," and the door closes. No sheepish look, definitely no apology, so I'll say it again... WTF?


So I guess I'm advocating that we need an etiquette book for elevators. Feel free to come up with a title.

No comments:

Post a Comment