Sunday, May 30, 2010

No, I didn't forget you, just haven't had the time to sort out my thoughts...

Wow, it's been several weeks since I've written, but the "Team Challenge" kept me crazed, I barely had enough time to shower and get to bed. Then it was off to NY for work, and then a long weekend with my best friend and her family. Let's take a look back...

The Beginning
Okay, so it was a 6 week program, but because I needed to be in NY the 6th week, I made special arrangements to have my final weigh-in on the Sunday before I left. Those of you who know me, know how competitive I am and although I certainly participated in it to jump start my weight-loss and get healthy, it was inevitable that my competitive nature would rear it's ugly head.

The Middle
For 5 weeks, I worked out 6 days a week, including the 2 hours a week the team worked out together, and I really watched what I ate, and made healthier choices. I dedicated myself to the challenge and was rewarded each week with the scale inching downward. Hours of cardio (treadmill, elliptical, stair stepper, bike), weight training, swimming laps, Zumba, Kickboxing, RepReebok, and even a 5 mile walk with the dog (thanks Patricia). Each week I'd look at the teams board and was annoyed that although our team was in the hunt, we never placed 1st for an individual week. It spurred me to push myself and my body, so that at the end of week 5, I had lost a total of 13.5 lbs. I left for my business trip feeling good about my efforts, and hoped that my teammates would bust it out the last week without me.

The End
In NY I made an effort to watch my portions as this is a life style change, NOT just a contest... but it's incredibly difficult. Thank goodness we walked to and from the hotel to the office, and to lunch and dinners out. When I returned home, I was back at the gym on Monday.... I didn't get any additional results from the challenge, so I went right to the board when I came in, and imagine my surprise when I saw our team results... -22.2 pounds, I'll let you figure out why I was a little incensed and disappointed. I felt like I was the only one who took the challenge seriously, and all week I've had to keep reminding myself the reasons why I participated are far more important than my competitiveness.

The Moral
Not that this is a fable, but I have come to some conclusions over the last 7 weeks. Number 1 (and most important) I used the "Team Challenge" as a jump start to becoming healthy. Eating less as well as exercise is now a part of my everyday life, not only to win a contest. Number 2: I possess a tremendous amount of willpower and mental "muscle" which I'm not sure I ever realized I had. Finally, number 3: I love having clothes that are loose and the prospect of buying new ones in a smaller size will keep me going!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment